4:00pm in the Minster
Many parish churches are not yet ready to open and as always, we extend a warm welcome to any who may wish to join us for worship.
There is no need to book a place.
Below are some instructions setting out in detail what to expect when attending a service at the Minster in the coming weeks. While there are many remaining restrictions, we hope that you will enjoy your time with us, and that you will find in this ancient place the presence of God, whose love is unchanging.
Instructions for attending a service at Southwell Minster
- Please bring a face mask or other face covering with you, and wear it throughout the service, unless you have a valid medical reason for not wearing one. In services of Holy Communion, please leave your face covering in place until you have received the host (wafer), then remove your face covering to consume the host, then replace it before returning to your seat.
- Enter by the north porch. If you are arriving in a wheelchair, motor scooter or with a buggy please wait in the porch and signal to the verger. The double doors cannot be opened from the outside without assistance.
- Because of the need to keep the building well-ventilated, we will be keeping the large west door open wherever possible. For this reason, it might be useful to bring an extra layer on all but the warmest days.
- Use the hand sanitiser provided as you arrive and exit.
- Give your name to the verger on duty at the door, who will confirm details.
- Orders of service will be placed on seats. Please take your copy home with you and do not share.
- Copies of Pew News will not be printed; these will continue to be available from our website or via our email service. In time, we will also encourage worshippers willing to do so to download orders of service onto a portable device, or to print them at home, to save paper and reduce the risk of infection. If you would like to subscribe for email updates from the Minster, including copies of Pew News, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Always observe social distancing (minimum 2 metres).
- Chairs have been arranged in the Nave which allow for spacious social distancing. If you arrive with your household group or ‘social bubble’ there are some chairs arranged in twos and threes.
- Children must always be supervised. Unfortunately Junior Church will not be able to meet during the initial phase of reopening for public worship.
- While the Minster is usually dog-friendly, only assistance dogs will be permitted.
- There will be no access to any other part of the Minster or Archbishop’s Palace, though a toilet will be available; please inform one of the vergers if you need to use it.
- The Education Garden and churchyard is fully open.
- There will be no collection taken – envelopes/cash may be deposited in the donation box as you arrive, or preferably use the contactless donation station.
- We will not be shaking hands during the Peace.
- Communion will be received in one kind only (bread).
- Follow the instructions of wardens and sidesmen to approach the sanctuary. There will be 2 metre spaces marked on the floor of the aisle; please observe these to keep social distance. Receive communion and then return to your seat via the side aisles.
- After the service, please leave immediately following the organ postlude. Do not gather in doorways. Clergy will stand outside to greet people.