During the lockdowns of 2020-2021, many of us spent more time in the outdoors, walking in local parks, along country footpaths, or sitting in our gardens. We had time to discover new, wild places on our doorsteps, we puzzled at plants and insects we did not recognise, and we watched quietly when we encountered birds or wild animals.
Some of these sights were so special, we captured them on our phones and cameras, creating lasting memories of nature’s extraordinary secrets.
Inspired by our Leaves of Southwell project, we invite you to enter our photography competition and share your own special lockdown discoveries. All ages welcome!
1st prize – £100 Cathedral Shop voucher
2nd prize – £50 Cathedral Shop voucher
3rd prize – £25 Cathedral Shop voucher
Special U14 prize – £10 Cathedral Shop voucher
Submit your entries between 8 March – 15 April.
Winners to be announced in May 2021.
Please email your images to firstname.lastname@example.org with a caption of where and when your photo was taken.
All the images we receive will be featured in an online exhibition, celebrating the natural world.
Terms & Conditions
1. There are no age categories for this competition, but entrants who are under 16 must have parental permission.
2. Multiple entries from the same person are permitted. Max 5 entries per person.
3. Your photograph must have been taken since lockdown was imposed on the 16th of March 2020.
4. Ensure the photo you submit is your own and has not been professionally published elsewhere.
5. Please include your name, age, and contact information when you email us your entry.
6. Ensure your images are in JPEG form and sufficient filesize (max 2MB per image).
7. By entering this competition, the entrant agrees that their photo can be included as part of an online exhibition, as well as on the Minster’s social media channels and website and for any other relevant marketing purposes.
8. The four winning photos along with eight other “commended photos” will be compiled into a 2022 calendar which will be available to purchase from the Cathedral Shop. By entering this competition, you are giving us permission to use any submitted photograph for this purpose and no payment will be made for its use.
8. Closing date for entry will be the 15th of April 2021 at 11.59pm. After this date, no entries will be accepted.
9. The winning entries will be announced in May via the Minster’s website and social media channels.