Our new opening times are 8.30am - 6.30pm (Monday-Saturday), and 8am - 4.30pm Sundays. Please note the Chapter House will be closed on Friday 24 September and will reopen on Saturday 2 October. This is to that a new cantilever lift can be installed to improve accessibility to this glorious part of the Minster.
Please keep an eye out on our closures page for up to date information on any areas of the Minster that may be closed before you visit.
Useful Information for your Visit
Upon entering the Minster, you will be welcomed by one of our Stewards (wearing blue gowns and badges) who can explain the range of facilities, provide information, and answer any questions. Our Vergers are also able to deal with queries you may have.
The duty Chaplain, or Canon in Residence, is available to offer spiritual guidance and advice.
Informative Guidebooks, usually available in the Minster, can be purchased at the Cathedral Shop or via our online store by clicking here
*The Minster Centre is currently closed until further notice*
Heading up Church Street, just past our shop, is the Minster Centre where a film on the life of the Minster can be seen. Please ring 01636 812649 to book a viewing of this.
The Minster Centre also houses the Minster Office (01636 812649) and The Bond Gallery of antiquarian prints of the Minster from 1672 to 1884.
Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm
With the exception of the Chapter House and The Historic Library, the building is wheelchair friendly. Please note that there are three steps down into the Chapter House but a lift is being installed in September 2021 which will make the Chapter House fully accessible. We have a wheelchair available and there are large-print guides, braille guides and a loop hearing system. The north and south doors can be opened electronically, by low-level touch pads.
There is a self-operating lift in the Archbishop’s Palace enabling visitor to access the State Chamber. If you require any assistance in using the lift please ask a member of the team.
Whilst we make every effort to ensure all our visitor are able to get the most from their visit, the nature of this Grade 1 listed building means that not all spaces are accessible to everyone and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Toilets, including an accessible toilet, are located in the Archbishop’s Palace next door to the Minster.
Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome inside the Minster, its grounds and gardens.
We look forward to welcoming you, either for worship or as a visitor. Please advise us if there is anything further we can do to make your visit more enjoyable.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Take a Pre-Booked Tour of the Minster
Tours can be booked for any period of the day, subject to services and other events taking place in the Minster. Special interest tours can also be arranged and groups of any size can be accommodated.
- A guided tour of the interior of the Minster, led by one of our trained guides, which costs £6.00 per person. It lasts 1 hour 15 minutes and there is an optional introductory video that lasts an extra 30 minutes. Please note, that for parties of four people or less, the charge is £10.00 per person.
- Unguided tours of the Minster interior for £3.00 per person
- External tours of the Minster, available at special request, lasting 1 hour
- Guided visits to the adjoining Archbishops’ Palace State Chamber and Gardens, which last 45 minutes and cost £3.50 per person. You are also welcome to visit unguided for free
- A combined Guided Tour of the Minster and State Chamber at the cost of £8.50 per person. We suggest that the combined tour is done with a break of at least 15 minutes in between. Visitors often arrange with the Refectory for the break to involve refreshments or lunch and this would be at an additional cost.
Visitors are very welcome to attend Evensong (times vary). View the Services calendar.
For further information and to book any of these tours, please contact email@example.com.